All computers have Microsoft accessibility options and most of our libraries have at least one computer with Supernova software, big keys keyboard and Trackerball. Supernova will read aloud information on the computer screen and will enlarge text up to 32 times the original size.
We can translate documents from standard print into large print, Braille or onto audiotape. This service is free to the visually impaired; there is a charge to organisations. either bring the document for translation into the library or email it as an attachment to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to us and we will mail the transcription back. Please allow 5 working days for this transcription service.
If you are a member of Royal National Institute for the blind (RNIB), National Library for the Blind (NLB), Calibre, and the Talking Newspaper Association (TNAUK) we can obtain material for you.
If you are not a member of any of these organisations, then join the Bee Aware scheme at your local library and we can borrow material from them and loan it to you.
We also offer:
• Large print books, books on tape and compact disc are available in all libraries.
• TV magnifier - available at Central, Shirley and Bitterne libraries
• Audio described DVDs and videos
• Text Reader - reads allowed printed documents, available at the Central library
• Audio newspapers e.g. Talking Daily Echo
• ClearVision books for children - books with standard text modified to include Braille sheets