St James' Park is located in Shirley between St James' Road, Winchester Road, Wordsworth Road and Church Street. The popular park covers 2.3 hectares and has an interesting history and heritage, which is being uncovered as part of a parks for people project. Historical maps show that the site was used as a nursery in 1865 and by 1897 use had changed to a gravel pit. It is also rumoured that the land was at one time designated for a railway station or siding but this has yet to be proved. Council archives record that the land was bought in 1907 and gravel extraction continued until the land was finally landscaped in 1911 for public use.
St James Park, Church Street, Upper Shirley, Southampton, SO15 5LW.