Address information and moving house

Your child's address

You must provide your child's permanent address on the application form (even if you are planning to move house after the application deadline).

This address is used to determine your school catchment area and distance from school.

If your child spends part of their week with one parent and part with the other, only one address can be used. This must be the address at which they spend most of their time.

If the address on your application is not your child's normal address, you must provide a child arrangements/residence order, for this address to be considered.

Moving house

If you move house before the application deadline, you must amend your online application or submit a new paper application form.

If you move house after the application deadline, you must send evidence of your new address to the school admissions team by:

  • Friday 16 November 2018 for secondary applications
  • Tuesday 29 January 2019 for infant and primary applications

Your new address will then be considered for your application. Address evidence received after these dates cannot be considered for your application. It will only be used to communicate the outcome of the application.

Address evidence

If you are moving to or within Southampton, you will need to provide evidence of your new address. Please refer to the table below for the evidence required depending on your type of move.

Type of move Evidence required
Property sale
A solicitor's letter confirming exchange of contracts.
Property rental
A signed copy of your tenancy agreement (usually 12 months).
Returning to owned property
Evidence of ownership of the property (for example a council tax or utility bill) and your intended residence date. This could include evidence that you are leaving your current home and your new property is available for you to move into.
Moving to live with partner/friend/relative
A letter from the partner/friend/relative confirming the arrangements plus evidence which demonstrates you are a resident at the new address, such as a household bill, driver's licence, bank statement. Your application can be only based on the new address once you are actually living there.
Child moving from one parent to another
Written confirmation from both parents of the new arrangements and proof of the new address (for example a recent council tax or utility bill).
UK service personnel and crown servants
An official letter declaring relocation date and future home address, unit postal address or quartering area address.
Domestic violence refuge
A letter from refuge staff confirming that you are living there.

Cautionary advice

Places are withdrawn every year because parents give a false address on their application. This includes cases where parents buy or rent a property solely to use the address in the application, without any intention of taking up permanent residence there.

We will investigate all allegations of false addresses and may monitor residency details if use of a temporary address causes concern.