All schools in Southampton have the same special educational needs and disabilities duties, and are expected to provide support for children and young people who have additional needs. These duties come from the national SEND Code of Practice 2014.
The majority of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities attend mainstream schools. All nurseries, schools and colleges will be expected to:
- Identify children and young people with special educational needs quickly and accurately so that support can be put in place
- Work in partnership with children, young people and their parents
- Allocate resources fairly, efficiently and in response to identified need
SEND Local Offer
Our SEND Local Offer website includes information about all services within Southampton for children and young people with SEND, and their parent carers. All of these services, settings and activities make up Southampton's 'SEND Local Offer'.
The Local Offer includes information on:
- Childcare for children with SEND
- Education, Health and Care assessments and plans
- Information, advice and support services
- Leisure and play activities for children and young people with SEND
- Accessing short breaks/respite
- Personal Budgets
0-25 SEND Service, including but not exclusive to:
- Portage – support for children aged 0-3
- Jigsaw – support for children and families with high and complex needs
- SEN personal advisors – support for young people transferring between school and college/post 16 provision
Short Breaks Statement
The short breaks statement is for parents and carers of children and young people with a disability. It describes the range of services available in the city and also explains how services can be accessed and provides useful contact details.
Please send any comments on the statement to firstname.lastname@example.org