Elective Home Education (EHE) is sometimes called home education or home schooling, and the Pupil Services team is the point of contact in Southampton.

For parents considering home education, the attached guidance document should provide information and advice to help you reach a decision.

Child is enrolled in a Southampton school

If your child is a registered pupil at a school you must write a letter to the head teacher. A telephone call is not sufficient. Explain that you intend to home educate your child, giving the date that your child will stop attending the school.

If you have decided to educate your child out of school because you are dissatisfied with your child's education provision, we recommend that you contact the head teacher in the first instance to discuss your concerns. You may also contact the Lead Officer Pupil Services, to discuss ways to resolve your concerns, before you reach a final decision and withdraw your child from school.

What if my child has SEND?

If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan, or is currently in the assessment process, please contact the Southampton SEND Service on 023 8083 3004.

No plans to take up the school place offered

If you decide not to take up a place allocated for your child to start school because you will be home educating instead, please notify the Lead Officer Pupil Services to prevent children missing education enquiries being instigated.

Planning to re-enrol your child in school

Parents who currently home educate and wish to return their child to school should contact the school admissions team on 023 8083 3004 to request a school place application form.

If you wish to enrol your child for a September 2019 start, or as part of the phase transfer groups, please see '2019 key information' in the attached downloads section.

Recently moved into the city

If you are moving into the area from outside of Southampton you do not have to notify us that are you are home educating your child, but it would be helpful if you did.

Will the local authority visit my home?

We have plans to offer initial visits to home educating families, but parents will be under no obligation to engage with them.

Public Health Nursing Service for children educated at home

Solent NHS Trust provide a Public Health Nursing Service for home educated children which covers a range of services and they can also signpost parents to other services.

You can contact the Public Health Nurse on 023 8053 8738.

Solent NHS are also keen to promote the importance of children being fully immunised prior to starting school. Therefore, you will find a PDF of the NHS document 'Pre-school immunisations - A guide to vaccinations (from two to five years)' and an immunisation timeline available to download from this page.

Help for home education

The local authority is unable to provide financial assistance or resources to home educating families, but sources of advice and support are contained in this guidance document.

National Citizen Service

The National Citizen Service (NCS) is a government funded programme that is delivered all over the UK for young people aged 15 to 17. Young people from diverse backgrounds come together to build new friendships, learn new skills, and step outside of their comfort zone. NCS is a chance for them to grow and become more confident, and put their skills and talents together to make a lasting impact on their local communities.

Further details on how the programme is structured and the costs involved are included in the flyer in the downloads section.

Reporting of and responding to concerns


Professionals working with a family who wish to raise concerns about the education provision of home educated children should first discuss their concerns with parents. After this discussion, if concerns remain, parents should be advised that a referral will be made to the local authority and the generic home.education@southampton.gov.uk e-mail address should be used for this purpose.

Upon receipt of referrals the Inclusion Services Team will decide whether it is appropriate to request further information from parents about the learning process that is in place, advising parents who the referrer is.


In cases where a referrer has stated that they wish to remain anonymous, any information provided will be deemed to have been given to the Council in confidence. As such, any information that will lead to the identification of the referrer will not be passed on to the parents, as this may be a breach of confidence and/or the data protection principles.

Referrers should note that although we may act upon concerns that are brought to our attention, we will not engage in further dialogue about the family as to do so would be a breach of data protection principles.


Any concerns of a safeguarding nature should be reported to our multi-agency safeguarding hub (MASH) on 023 8083 3336.

Contact details

Lead Officer Inclusion Services 023 8083 3889