Housing support for older people

Our floating support service and supported housing options can help you live safely and independently with support when you need it.

60+ Floating Support Service

Specialist support to help you to live in your own home for as long as possible, whether your home is rented or owned.

Available for people over 60 years old but younger if you have similar support needs. There is a wide range of support available to help you manage your everyday life, find social activities, or access appropriate health and community services.

More information about the floating support service is available.

SCC Housing for over 50s and 60s

Small blocks of purpose-built flats, either for over 50s or over 60s, for people who wish to live with others of a similar age.

Each flat is self-contained, with your own front door and privacy, and benefits from 24 hour emergency pull cord system and floating support for those who need it.

SCC 60+ Complexes

Complexes of self-contained flats mostly for people over the age of 60, with some for those over 55, who wish to live in a supported environment with people of a similar age.

Each flat benefits from 24 hour emergency pull cords and there are communal facilities such as a lounge for social activities for those who wish to join in. Support staff are onsite most days Monday to Friday.

For further information you can view our frequently asked questions.

Extra Care Housing or Housing with Care

Purpose-built flats available for 55 years old plus. A Health Care provider is onsite and available 24 hours each day.

Support staff are also onsite Monday to Friday during the day. Communal rooms are available with social activities if you wish to join in. There are additional facilities such as laundry and café onsite (these vary according to scheme).

Apply for accommodation

To apply for any of these types of council accommodation you will need to be eligible to join the Housing Register. There is strict criteria to apply and not everyone is eligible.

Check your Housing Register eligibility

Adult Social Care

Information and services available for adults with short and long term health and care needs and eligibility for assessment can be found in our Adult Social Care section.