From 22 February 2017, you cannot make a new claim to Housing Benefit unless you meet one of the following conditions:
- If you are a resident in supported exempt accommodation or you have been placed in temporary accommodation by Southampton City Council's Homelessness team you must inform Universal Credit of this and make a claim for Housing Benefit with Southampton City Council
- If you have reached State Pension Credit age
- You are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age
- You are receiving Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance with no Universal Credit top up
- You are receiving Contribution-related Employment and Support Allowance with no Universal Credit top up
- You have had a break of a month or less in a legacy benefit that included the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) and you still meet the qualifying conditions for the SDP
If you have made a claim for Pension Credit or a claim for Universal Credit because you are in supported accommodation or you are one of the groups who can still claim Housing Benefit after 22 February 2017, you will be invited to claim Housing Benefit.
If you have to pay rent and/or council tax you can make a claim for both below.
Make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
If you are no longer able to claim Housing benefit but you still have to pay Council Tax, you cannot apply for Council Tax Reduction at Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service. Make a separate claim below, directly with us.
Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction