Claiming Housing Benefit after 22 February 2017

From 22 February 2017, you cannot make a new claim to Housing Benefit (HB) unless you meet one of the following condition

  • If you are a resident in supported exempt accommodation or you have been placed in temporary accommodation by Southampton City Council's Homelessness team you must inform Universal Credit of this and make a claim for Housing Benefit with Southampton City Council

From 16 January 2019 you can also claim Housing Benefit if

  • You receive an existing legacy benefit that includes the Severe Disability Premium (SDP)
  • You were claiming Housing Benefit in another area; your HB award included the SDP and you continue to meet the SDP criteria
  • You have had a break of a month or less in a legacy benefit that included the SDP and you still meet the qualifying conditions for the SDP

From 15 May 2019 you can claim Housing Benefit if

  • You and your partner have reached State Pension age
  • One of you has reached State Pension age and started claiming Housing Benefit or Pension Credit (for you as a couple) before 15 May 2019

If you are not already getting HB on 14 May 2019 your claim can be backdated and you could still be eligible to get HB.

You can ask for a backdate to 14 May 2019 or before but you must apply by 13 August 2019 to do do this.

If you are still not eligible to claim HB you can apply for UC instead.

If you already get HB and you are in a couple

You’ll continue to get Housing Benefit after 15 May 2019. If your entitlement stops for any reason, for example your circumstances change, you cannot start getting it again until you (or your partner) are eligible under the new rules.

If you already get Housing Benefit are State Pension age and you’re single

From 15 May 2019, you’ll stop getting Housing Benefit if you start living with a partner who is under State Pension age. You can start getting it again when your partner reaches State Pension age.

What is a legacy benefit?

If you have made a claim for Pension Credit or a claim for Universal Credit because you are in supported accommodation or you are one of the groups who can still claim Housing Benefit after 22 February 2017, you will be invited to claim Housing Benefit.

If you have to pay rent and/or council tax you can make a claim for both below.

Make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

If you are no longer able to claim Housing benefit but you still have to pay Council Tax, you cannot apply for Council Tax Reduction at Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service. Make a separate claim below, directly with us.

Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction