A-Z of recycling

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Laser printers

Please do not place printers in any of your household bins. Old and broken printers can be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Centre for recycling. Good quality working printers and other office equipment such as computers, faxes and cartridges can be taken to Jamie’s Computer Club based at Unit 32, Mount Pleasant Industrial Estate in Mount Pleasant Road. These are sold to raise funds for St James Charity for the Homeless. Telephone: 023 8063 2198.

Lead pipe
Lead pipe can be taken to the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Please ask a member of staff for advice.

The council provides a chargeable garden waste collection from your home. Garden waste can also be taken free of charge to the Household Waste Recycling Centre where it is sent off for composting. The council works with a national company to provide cheaper home composters, see www.getcomposting.com and enter your postcode.

Lids and tops (metal)
Please remove metal lids and tops from bottles and jars, where possible, and put them in your green-lidded general waste bin.

Lids and tops (plastic)
Plastic lids and tops can be left on plastic bottles. They can be recycled in your blue lidded recycling bin.

Light bulbs
Small, standard and long life bulbs can be put in the green-lidded general waste bin. Please place in a carrier bag or wrap carefully in paper first. Fluorescent tubes should be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Centre which accepts hazardous waste.

Liquid petroleum gas bottles
Please contact the manufacturer first to check if they are able to take the item back for reuse/refilling or disposal. You can check with the camping shops they were purchased or they can be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Centre. They will only accept gas bottles up to 15kg in size either propane or butane. Balloon gas bottles are also accepted.