Environmental licences

EUGO logoCooling towers and evaporative condenser notification

All premises with a cooling tower or evaporative condenser must notify Southampton City Council that they are there, notify any changes to the device within one month of the change, and notify if permanently removed. Tacit consent applies, you will be able to act as though your notification has been received if you have not heard from the local authority within the stated five working days.

Enforcement Authorities - register of cooling towers

Apply for a cooling tower and evaporative condenser notification

Environmental Permits

Companies carrying out activities that could potentially cause emissions to air, land or water may need to hold an Environmental Permit under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2007. If certain changes occur to the activity, or the company changes hands, then the permit may need to be varied or transferred. If the activity ceases, then the permit will need to be surrendered.

Check if you need an environmental permit and apply

Petroleum storage licence

For licensing purposes 'petroleum' is any product of crude petroleum which has a flash point below 21 degrees centigrade. This means it is a highly flammable liquid and gives off flammable vapours even at very low temperatures. It includes petrol, benzene and pentane but does not include white spirit, paraffin, diesel oil or fuel oils. The licensing regime applies conditions for the safe operation of sites where petrol is delivered, stored and dispensed. Tacit consent does not apply. We must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.


The current fees for petroleum storage licences are:

  • Up to 2,500 litres - £46.00

  • Exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres - £62.00

  • Exceeding 50,000 litres - £131.00

  • Transfer of a licence - £8.00


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself five minutes to fill it in.

You will need:

  • Payment card details

Apply for a petroleum storage certificate

Contact us

Regulatory Services (Commercial)
Southampton City Council
Civic Centre
SO14 7LY


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself at least five minutes to fill in the form.

Submit an enquiry