Localised restrictions are legally binding, being imposed on specific Local Authority areas where the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care uses powers in Part 2A of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984, in response to the threat posed by coronavirus.
The purpose of this schemes is to support mobile workers that have been impacted by to local restrictions.
If you were working as a licensed Hackney Carriage driver or Private Hire driver up to and including 5 January 2021; and have been adversely impacted by local restrictions as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19) you may be eligible to receive a one-off grant of £1000 from Southampton City Council.
This support for 'fixed business overheads' and is separate from and in addition to any other funding you may have received from the Government, for example through the HMRC Self-Employed Income Support Scheme. This scheme is not intended to provide income support or to cover lost income.
Licenced Private Hire or Hackney Carriage drivers on Southampton City Council’s register of licenced drivers may-be eligible for a £1000 one-off grant payment.
This scheme is not retrospective, to align with the main Additional Restriction Grant Scheme. The one-off grant is to provide support for 'fixed business overheads' during various periods of local restrictions.
To apply, a licenced driver must meet all of the following:
- You must have experienced a significant loss of income from 5 November 2020
- Hold a valid Hackney Carriage or Private Hire drivers licence issued by Southampton City Council
- You are or have recently been working or available for work as a licenced driver
- Living within Southampton city boundary to SO postcode
- Was working as a licenced Hackney Carriage or Private Hire driver up to and including 5 January 2021
- You must not have breached COVID-19 regulations
- A Hackney Carriage or Private Hire driver that have a licence issued by another local authority and not a current licence from Southampton City Council
- Hackney Carriage or Private Hire drivers that do not live within the SO postcode and can provide a Council Tax reference
Payments to eligible mobile workers
Under the Mobile Worker scheme the following payments will be made within a 30 day cycle until the scheme is closed.
Eligible licenced drivers will receive a one-off grant of £1000
If you have been unable to access support through the Self Employment Income Support Scheme offered by HMRC you should seek to apply to cover any lost income. This scheme is to support 'fixed business overheads'.
It will be for licenced drivers, based on their individual financial circumstances, to consider any implications in relation to tax (HMRC), benefits (Universal Credits) or any other payment from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). Data from this scheme may well be shared with Government departments including HMRC, DWP and the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy.
How to apply
You can make a submission through the online form below. Submissions will then be accepted and processed for the 30 day cycle. Eligible businesses will then be informed and payments made via BACS until the scheme closes.
Apply for the Mobile Workers Support Grant