In line with the Government announcement 31 October 2020, weddings and civil partnerships are not allowed to go ahead during the lockdown period. The lockdown period (England) begins 5 November 2020 and will continue for four weeks. Although the Government have announced that the lockdown period will be for four weeks, we have to remember that this period of time could be extended if the spread of the virus does not slow down to an acceptable level.
The ceremonies team will contact all bookings that fall within this time frame to discuss alternative dates and times. We appreciate that this is an incredibly difficult time for our couples and our team will work hard to find a good solution to avoid too much disappointment.
Restrictions in place before the second lockdown
- Please only arrive 10 minutes prior to your ceremony time along with your guests. If you arrive too early you will be asked to wait off site
- You will need to provide a guest list, including any children up to the maximum of the room. Anyone who turns up on the day and is not on the list provided, will not be allowed to enter the building
- We will ask that you and your guests download the NHS COVID 19 APP ready to scan the QR code when you all arrive at any of our venues. for information on the APP please visit https://covid19.nhs.uk/
- Usual COVID restrictions apply – anyone in any households attending not showing signs of Covid in the last 14 days
- If you (the couple) or any of your guests have flown into the UK from abroad within 14 days of the ceremony you are likely to be subject to the 14-day quarantine ruling. You must follow current Government guidelines and quarantine in line with the legislation, even if this means that the ceremony will be postponed. if you are concerned please contact us
- Your guests and witnesses must wear a face covering/mask (exemptions apply). You, the couple, do not need to wear a face covering/mask
- Your ceremony will be very basic without any enhancements such as readings. You will be interviewed together in the ceremony room before your guests come in. This means that you will not be able to walk down the aisle or make an entrance. Once the ceremony is complete you and your guests will need to leave the premises as soon as possible in line with safety protocol
- No live music or singing allowed. You will need to bring music on your own hands free device (no plug-ins permitted) for a guest to play. Music cannot be religious in nature
- No ring cushion will be available and you cannot bring your own
- A bouquet of flowers is allowed, however you must pass them to your guest and not leave on a chair or table
- No confetti of any description is allowed to be thrown inside or outside at any venue during this pandemic
- No bubbles to be blown inside or outside at any venue during this pandemic
- Photographs / filming will be allowed during the ceremony however they will have restricted movement. There will not be a chance for posed family photographs at the end. This means inside or outside. There are local parks within close proximity to Bugle Street and Westgate Hall for further photographs
- No air conditioning available as it is not vented externally and ventilation may not be possible (some windows cannot be opened)
- The room will look very different to how you imagine. There will be limited decorations and no chair ties. The layout will be changed to accommodate the 2 metre distancing recommendations. Everyone must be seated, there will be no standing
- No parking at the office / on the premises for any vehicle including the ceremony/bridal car
- There will be no certificate issued on the day. Your certificates will be posted to you as soon as possible
- No food or drinking on premises
- Toilet facilities might only be available upon request
- At Westgate Hall, the lift facility will be restricted and we cannot guarantee its availability on the day
Disclaimer (temporary amendment during Covid 19)
Please be aware that because of Covid 19 the Council has had to cancel a number of ceremonies due to the restrictions on social events imposed by Central Government.
Please be aware that if you are re-booking you have agreed to do so at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that ceremonies booked will be able to proceed as they will be subject to any further restrictions that Central Government imposes. If ceremonies have to be cancelled due to pandemic or other reasons in line with the terms then the Council cannot be held responsible and is not liable for any ceremony that has to be cancelled. If however we cannot deliver a ceremony because of Covid 19 or other health pandemics Southampton City Council will allow you to postpone or cancel your date.
If ceremonies are not able to proceed on the booked dates because of Covid 19 or other health pandemics then the Council will try to accommodate an alternative booking but this may be subject to an administration fee, and you may have to join a waiting list.
Any re-bookings are not guaranteed to be in the same year. We recommend that you check your insurance policy. The Council reserves the right to charge an admin fee to any changes that you make to your booking. Any ceremonies that you have agreed to proceed with during this time, will be subject to restrictions imposed by Central Government and Southampton City Council.
Please note that any change to your ceremony date may mean that you will need to give fresh notices which carry a statutory fee and any immigration referral fees will also need to be paid again. This will apply to any new notice appointments booked and notices given since 4 July 2020 as you have agreed to proceed at your own risk.
Download our full terms and conditions.
As ceremonies within the lockdown period cannot go ahead, you will need to decide how you would like to proceed. Please remember that the new date you choose is likely to be subject to further restrictions which we are unable to predict. Please choose from the options below.
Your ceremony may not fall within the lockdown period but is planned for shortly after that. You might still wish to choose from one of the options below