Council Tax rebate

£150 council tax rebate from the government

The government has announced measures to help households with rising energy costs. This includes a one-off payment of £150 council tax energy rebate to all households whose primary residence is in council tax band A to D. Read more about the council tax rebate scheme on GOV.UK.

Who is eligible for the rebate?

  • Anyone living in a household in council tax bands A to D on 1 April 2022
  • Anyone living in a household in council tax band E but who has an alternative valuation band of D due to the disabled relief scheme on 1 April 2022

The property must be someone’s sole or main residence and a chargeable dwelling, or in any of the following exemption classes:

  • Class N property occupied solely by full time students as a single household (excluding halls of residence/residential student blocks)
  • Class S (property occupied by people under the age of 18)
  • Class U (occupied by someone who's severely mentally impaired)
  • Class W (annexes occupied by dependent relatives)

Where the council is aware that the liable council tax payer does not occupy the property (for example a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)), no-one will be eligible for the rebate in relation to that property (some residents of HMOs may be eligible for the discretionary scheme – see below).

Only one payment can be made for each household/property in the council tax list. You must be liable or jointly liable for the council tax property the rebate is being claimed for.

You do not need to repay the one off £150.00 payment.

How to receive the rebate

If you pay by Direct Debit SHOW

If you don't pay by Direct Debit SHOW

If you are on council tax support in band E–H SHOW

If you are a student SHOW

If you do not pay council tax SHOW