If you have received any of the following letters from us, you can ask to set up a payment plan to pay off the outstanding amount:
- Final reminder
- Liability order
For us to set up a payment plan, you will need to let us know your ‘arrangements proposal’, this is what you can offer to pay each month or week.
What your proposal will need:
- Details about the regular income, employment and/or benefits you receive
- Whether you live with a partner and their regular income, employment and/or benefits they receive
- How much you propose to pay and if this would be monthly or weekly
- The date you would like the arrangement to start from
- The payment method you would use
It may help to make a list of your income and outgoings, so you can work out how much you can afford to repay each week or month. Find out how to calculate your income and expenses
When setting up a payment arrangement, remember:
- The arrangements needs to be calculated so the outstanding balance is cleared by the end of the current tax year (i.e. by 31 March)
- If your request for an arrangement extends beyond 31 March, your arrangement will be reviewed by a specialist officer to review your circumstances
- If the officer determines that the arrangement cannot be extended, they will contact you to discuss your options and make alternative arrangements that are more suitable
- If you have a debt from a previous year, you can set a payment arrangement to pay this off, however you will have to continue to make the current year’s payment in addition to the previous year’s repayment
- If you have received a summons or liability order, court costs are automatically added to your outstanding balance and these will be included when you set up a new payment arrangement
How to submit an arrangement proposal
There are several ways to submit or discuss your arrangement with us:
- If you have linked your Council Tax account to your MySouthampton account, you can use the ‘Make an arrangement’ facility to set up a payment plan. Sign into your account
- Using the online form Submit an arrangement proposal
- By phone -Telephone: 023 8083 3009 (lines are open Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm. Closed Bank Holidays)
What happens next?
We will contact you within 10 working days to confirm if we have agreed to your arrangement and provide details of the amounts you need to pay.
Remember: Should your proposal be accepted, you must maintain payment in accordance with the agreed installments. Failure to do so will result in further recovery action being taken and further charges being applied.