It is important that flooding is reported to the correct department or organisation in order for the incident to be dealt with quickly. This page explains how to report flooding within the Southampton City Council administrative boundary.

In an emergency, or if there is a risk to life, dial 999 and ask for the emergency services.

Flooding to highways (roads), or from sources of surface water, ordinary watercourses (small rivers, ditches or streams) or groundwater

Please report flooding to us via Actionline by calling the main switchboard on 023 8083 3000, Monday to Friday, 8:30am-5pm. For emergencies outside these times (including bank holidays) call the out of hours team on 023 8023 3344.

Flooding from public sewers (foul, surface water or combined) or freshwater pipes

All flooding from public sewers or suspected burst pipes should be reported to Southern Water for investigation.

For supply or waste water emergencies, blocked drains or possible pollution call Southern Water on 0330 303 0368.

If you spot a water leak, please call Southern Water's 24 hour Leakline free on 0800 820 999.

If you think you have a leak on your property, Southern Water offer domestic properties up to one hour's free leak detection work to help locate the leak on your private supply. For further details, please see Southern Water's website or contact their Customer Service Centre on 0330 303 0368.

Flooding from the sea or main rivers

Management of flood risk from the sea or main rivers is the responsibility of the Environment Agency. If there is a flood, or you see something that could cause one, such as a branch obstructing a watercourse or a blocked trash screen, please call the Environment Agency's incident line on 0800 807 060.

If you are worried about flood risk or require further information or advice before/during a flood, call the Environment Agency's Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

Flooding from an unknown or persistent source

If you experience flooding that is from an unknown source, is persistent or where the responsibility is unclear, you should notify our flood risk manager for further advice or investigation as necessary. Please contact

Please see flood risk investigations to find out more on how and when they may be carried out.

See also: