We partnered with Meachers Global Logistics in 2016 to provide a Sustainable Distribution Centre (SDC) for Southampton. The service has numerous benefits to the city, not just supporting our Green City Goals but also providing local businesses with cost and time savings.
What is the SDC?
The SDC is designed to reduce the heavy goods vehicles servicing the city and surrounding town centres.
The consolidation will group deliveries into specific groups and then distribute less frequently, yet more efficiently. The deliveries could be for one end user but from several suppliers - using the SDC will result in the suppliers delivering to Meachers’ out of town warehouse and
The main benefit to the city is the improvement in air pollution due to the reduction in HGVs travelling around the city. This supports several of our Green City Commitments - reducing CO2 levels, carbon neutrality by 2030 and improving the quality of life in our city.
Why use the SDC?
The service has several benefits to users and the local community. These include:
- The potential for reducing costs - the 'out of town' storage costs are much lower than a city centre unit
- You can lower the number of deliveries made to your business - fewer deliveries on any one day to your premises helps you lower the amount of administration and resource needed to process deliveries
- Deliveries can be made at quieter and more convenient times of the day – this improves the reliability of your deliveries with less impacted by congestion
- Reducing the number of vehicle trips will also result in less congestion, especially during peak times. We also anticipate an improvement in road safety
- The SDC can help you keep better track of the products being delivered into your business
- It can lower your environmental impact and carbon footprint in the city
- The service is easy to use - the team at Meachers will create the solution that works for you and your business
If you’d like more information about the service, please contact Meachers Global Logistics Ltd.