We need the active support of city residents, visitors and businesses to help keep our city clean.
You can help keep your city clean by these simple everyday actions:
- Take your food wrappings, drink containers, newspapers and other potential litter home with you and dispose of it through your domestic waste stream, or use one of the 1,400 litter bins provided in the city’s streets and parks
- Put our your domestic waste including glass and recyclables out on the correct day and take bins back onto your property as soon as possible after collection
- Manage your domestic waste responsibly to avoid contaminating different waste streams, over-filling bins, or leaving additional side-waste that can quickly become street litter
- In the unfortunate instance of land for which you are responsible becoming blighted by fly tipping, please remove quickly to avoid the development of more widespread litter problems
- Dispose of items of bulky household waste responsibly by taking to your nearest household waste recycling centre or using the council’s bulky waste collection service
Please see the Keep Britain Tidy website for more information.
Volunteer to help keep your city clean
You can volunteer to help clear litter from the local area. The street cleansing service already supports over 20 individuals or groups that give up a little of their time to help keep their local streets or green spaces clean. We provide advice, training, equipment, and the removal of the rubbish collected.
To get involved, please email us.