Needing additional support to live independently
You may be at the point where normal everyday tasks are becoming more difficult and you would value some extra support. It is our aim to assist you to live as independently as possible. In order to make this happen we provide a range of services for adult residents with long and short term health and care needs.
This guide acts like a checklist for adults looking for more support. Select the relevant section below to see helpful information.
Getting support with things around the home SHOW
Our aim is to help you live independently and safely in your own home for as long as possible and this can be home adaptations, walking aids or support service.
- 60+ Floating Support Service can help you manage and develop the skills you need to live independently
- Look at a list of House, garden and pet care services in the directory
- Find and borrow walking aids and mobility equipment
- If you need support with heating your home, Southampton Healthy Homes can support
- For extra peace of mind use a Southampton City Telecare personal alarm
- Support for carers - extra help for a friend or family member who looks after you
Food and eating SHOW
It is important to maintain a healthy diet and there are services available to support you to this
- Get your shopping delivered by either ordering it online yourself or getting someone to do this for you
- Get meals on wheels delivered to your home five days a week
- You can also view a list of food banks and free meal venues in Southampton
Make time for your activities and hobbies SHOW
Claim the right benefits SHOW
Financial support is available whether you need help to live safely and comfortably in your own home, or if you need to move into a care home.
- Check you're getting everything you're entitled to on this benefit calculator
- Benefits if you have an illness or disability and are under 65
- Benefits if you have an illness or disability and are over 65
- Council tax reduction if you receive benefits
- Discount if you become a permanent resident of a hospital or care home
- Reduction if you become disabled
- Care worker discount
- Help managing your Personal Budget
This page is a new development we're trying out. We welcome your feedback here.