Your contribution explained

People who receive non-residential social care services are asked to complete a financial assessment to calculate whether they will be asked to make a contribution to the cost of their care, known as the client contribution.

If you choose not to complete a financial assessment, you will have to pay the full cost of care. By non-residential care services we mean services and support, such as home care and day care, which help people to remain independent at home.

It is important that you provide us with up to date information so that your contribution can be calculated correctly. If you need to tell us about a change in the income you receive or any extra savings you have as a result of an inheritance or the sale of a property, please contact the FAB team by phoning the Adult Care Line on 023 8083 3003 or by emailing

There is more guidance that explains your contributions for non-residential adult social care services and the way contributions are assessed and calculated in line with Southampton City Council policy.

You can download an easy read leaflet Understanding what you have to pay or for more detailed information download the Your Contribution Explained guide.

These also give details on your income we take into account, current benefit rate levels, the maximum contribution rates you can be expected to pay, along with other useful advice on how to seek advice and help. This includes information about disability related expenditure, what happens if your care is cancelled and who to contact if you are finding difficulty in paying your client contribution.