Sure Start children's centres across the city are there for all families with children under 5.
From the early days of pregnancy, through the pre-school years and introduction to primary schools, your local Sure Start is there to help give your child the best start in life.
Sure Start offers lots of different services and activities, including:
- Learning through play in our “come and play” and “family points” (health, help and play) sessions
- Health advice from midwives, health visitors, other health professionals, family points and child health clinics within the children’s centres
- Family support
- Information and guidance on breast feeding, health and nutrition
- Support to quit smoking
- Support for families with children with additional needs
- Speech and language support
- Advice and support for parents including dads groups and young parents
- Training courses – we offer various training courses throughout the city including parenting classes, ESOL, money management, healthy cooking plus much more
- Information for parents on childcare, volunteering, training and job opportunities
- Quick and easy access to wider services
How do I join Sure Start
To become part of any of the Sure Start centres in your cluster area you will first need to register. You can do this by completing this registration form. You can also just pop into your local Sure Start. Whether you're a parent to be, a mum, dad, grandparent or carer – whoever you are, you'll be welcomed.
Please use the locality area map to find out which one you are in.
Once you have registered you can go along to any of the groups in any of the centres in your locality. Choose your locality to see more information and what's on in your locality.
What parents and carers say about Sure Start
Here's what some Southampton parents and carers think about their Sure Start:
"I found the Stay & Play session very enjoyable for my son. There was plenty for him to do. There was a music group and loads of other children for him to play with. I found the group to be very entertaining and full of happiness."
"The Sure Start staff are very friendly, make you feel welcome and it was good for all the kids to learn about healthy eating."