Mutual exchange

If you are a council tenant or housing association you could think about moving by mutual exchange.

This means you will need to find another local authority or housing association tenant to swap properties with.

You can register for free on the Homeswapper website to find tenants who live locally and nationally, who are also looking for a new property.

In most cases you will only be allowed to move to a property which meets your needs, for example, does not have more bedrooms than your household requires.  You will not be able to move if you have any rent arrears.

If you exchange your home with someone else please be aware that in exchanging you are agreeing to accept the property in its current condition, including all of the fixtures and fittings.

You will become responsible for any alterations or work carried out by the tenant you have exchanged with.

If you are a council tenant and have found someone who would like to swap with you, you need to complete the downloadable application form below and hand this into your housing office who will assess whether or not your application can be approved.

You cannot swap homes without getting our agreement.

Apply for mutual exchange