The books on prescription service helps people manage and cope with their health problems by providing access to self-help books and related information.
The scheme is endorsed by health professionals and supported by Southampton Libraries. The books provide helpful information and step-by-step techniques for managing conditions such as depression, anxiety, phobias and eating disorders.
Anyone can borrow books on prescription - you don't need a referral from a doctor/health professional.
How does it work?
- Your doctor or health professional will give you a prescription recommending a self help book
- Take the prescription to your local library and exchange it for the book
- Use your library card to borrow the book - if you don't have a card - join the library for free
- If the book is not available staff will get a copy from another library
- Books can be borrowed for 4 weeks, but you can renew if you need to keep them longer
- Library book loans and borrower details are treated as strictly confidential