Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the report of Cabinet Member for Transport and Public Realm seeking approval to adopt the Local Transport Plan (LTP) for Southampton entitled Connected Southampton Transport Strategy 2040.
(i) Notes the outcomes of the 12 week public consultation that began on 25th July 2018 and ended on 17th October 2018 on the draft Connected Southampton Transport Strategy 2040. The outcome of the consultation is outlined in paragraphs 12 to 18 and Appendix 4 in the report.
(ii) To consider and recommend to Council the draft Connected Southampton Transport Strategy 2040 as the new Local Transport Plan for Southampton.
(iii) To authorise the Service Director – Growth, following consultation with the Cabinet Member for Transport and Public Realm, to make minor amendments to the document before publication.
1. As the Local Transport Authority (LTA), SCC has a statutory duty to produce a Local Transport Plan (LTP) for Southampton, under the Transport Act 2000 as amended by Local Transport Act 2008. The 2008 Act requires LTPs to consist of a long term strategy and a short term implementation plan. It permits LTAs to replace and amend the long-term strategy as and when they require. The current LTP (LTP3) covers the period 2011-2031 and the Implementation Plan covers the period 2015-2018. This will be superseded by the new Connected Southampton 2040 Transport Strategy (LTP4) and will cover the period up to 2040 and a new Implementation Plan will be prepared to cover 2019-2022.
2. LTP3 was prepared jointly with Hampshire County Council and Portsmouth City Council, was published in 2011 and includes a joint strategy across South Hampshire along with place specific actions. The 14 Policies within that strategy (LTP3) are proposed to be retained as they remain relevant. The focus of this Paper is to present Southampton’s updated long term vision for transport – Connected Southampton Transport Strategy 2040 (LTP4) following public consultation, for approval.
1. Whilst the current LTP3 (2011-2031) is in date and broadly in line with the provisions of the 2008 Act and SCC has a current Implementation Plan, significant changes in Central Government transport and wider policy, the emergence of Local Enterprise Partnerships, Clean Air requirements, changing funding sources including Transforming Cities Fund, and the City’s growth aspirations, it is considered that an updated long term transport strategy (LTP4) is required.
2. Other options considered
- Retain LTP3 but update of three year Implementation Plan only to cover period 2019-2022. This would ensure SCC is compliant with legislation but would not present a refreshed long term vision and plan for transport in the city consistent with growth and Clean Air aspirations.
- Light touch review of existing LTP3 to update policies, change references to new organisations to reflect new policy, funding and decision making. This would provide an updated Solent wide LTP3 to 2031 developed in partnership with the other Solent LTAs but would not take into account wider long term specific ambitions for Southampton and across the Solent.
- A full replacement of the Solent LTP3 to establish new Solent wide transport policies developed in partnership with the four Solent LTAs. Would set out the long term transport vision Solent -wide collating the joint ambition of the four LTAs.
Report author: Iain Steane
Publication date: 19/03/2019
Date of decision: 19/03/2019
Decided at meeting: 19/03/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 28/03/2019