Venue: Conference Room 3 - Civic Centre. View directions
Contact: Karen Wardle, Democratic Support Officer 023 8083 2302
Disclosure Of Personal And Pecuniary Interests
In accordance with the Localism Act 2011, and the Council’s Code of Conduct, Members to disclose any personal or pecuniary interests in any matter included on the agenda for this meeting.
NOTE: Members are reminded that, where applicable, they must complete the appropriate form recording details of any such interests and hand it to the Democratic Support Officer.
Councillor Parnell declared a personal interest as being a trustee of the street pastors. Councillor Lloyd declared a personal interest as being a governor for Southampton City College. Councillors Parnell and Lloyd remained in the meeting and were advised they could take part in the decision making.
Report of the Head of Legal and Democratic Services detailing the responses to the consultation on the proposal to introduce a Late Night Levy to Southampton, attached.
The Committee considered the report of the Head of Legal and Democratic Services detailing responses to the consultation on the proposal to introduce a late night levy to Southampton.
The Cabinet Member for Communities, Mrs Walker and Mrs Barter (local residents), Mr Madden (Baizz Club) Mr Warne (TLT representing Greene King) and Chief Inspector Justin Roberts (Hampshire Constabulary) were present and with the consent of the Chair addressed the meeting.
(i) that the introduction of a Late Night Levy in Southampton be recommended to Council to commence on 1 April 2015; and
(ii) that key provisions of the Late Night Levy be recommended as follows: that pursuant to section 132(1) of the 2011 Act:
a. the date on which the late night levy requirement is first to apply is 1st April 2015
b. for the first levy year and, subject to section 133 of the 2011 Act, each subsequent levy year:-
i. the late night supply period shall begin at one minute past midnight and end at 6 am;
ii. that the following permitted exemption categories as defined in regulation 4 of the Late Night Levy (Expenses, Exemptions and Reductions) Regulations 2012 are to apply:-
1. regulation 4(a) – hotels etc. supplying alcohol for on-consumption by resident patrons;
2. regulation 4(b) – theatres supplying alcohol for on-consumption to ticket holders, performers, guests at private events;
3. regulation 4(c) – cinemas supplying alcohol for on-consumption to ticket holders, guests at private events;
4. regulation 4(d) – bingo halls where the playing of non-remote bingo is the primary activity;
5. regulation 4(e) – registered community amateur sports clubs;
6. regulation 4(f) – community premises like church halls and village halls, etc. that are subject to the alternative licence condition; and
7. regulation 4 (i) – premises authorised to supply alcohol for on consumption only between midnight and 6 am on 1 January.
iii. that the following permitted exemption category as defined in regulation 4 of the Late Night Levy (Expenses, Exemptions and Reductions) Regulations 2012 is not to apply:-
1. regulation 4(g) – single country village pubs in designated rural settlements which receive rate relief;
2. regulation 4(h) – premises liable for the Business Improvement District levy.
iv. that the following permitted reduction category as defined in regulation 5 of the Late Night Levy (Expenses, Exemptions and Reductions) Regulations 2012 is not to apply:-
1. regulation 5(1)(a) – members of business-led best practice schemes
Save that if such a scheme is subsequently approved and adopted by the Council in accordance with paragraph 6 below that the Head of Legal and Democratic Services be authorised to administer the scheme and take all decisions in relation to it, including reductions in the levy payable by approved premises
2. regulation 5(1)(b) – certain premises authorised to supply alcohol for on-consumption which receive small business rate relief.
v. the proportion of the net amount of levy payments that is to be paid to the relevant local policing body under section ... view the full minutes text for item 13.