Report of the Cabinet Member for Resources and Leisure outlining options for the future transformation of the Southampton Library Service, attached.
NOTE: The appendices to this item are placed in the Members’ room. Members are reminded of their obligations under s149 of the Equality Act 2010. This section contains the Public Sector Equality Duty which is a duty to be discharged personally by Members. As with all appendices placed in the Members’ room, Members are required to read them prior to the Cabinet meeting and, on this occasion, are advised to pay particular attention to the Needs Assessment and Equality Impact Assessments, to read them in full and to familiarise themselves with their legal obligations under s149.
DECISION MADE: (Ref: CAB 14/15 13292)
On consideration of the report of the Cabinet Member for Resources and Leisure and having received representations from a member of the public and Members of the Council, Cabinet agreed the following modified recommendation:
(i) To approve Option D (detailed in paragraph 47 of this report) as the preferred option for consultation.
(ii) To carry out public consultation for a minimum of twelve weeks to seek views on the proposal including, but not limited to:
- views on the future focus for the library service and the priorities contained within
- views on the decision to continue to provide a library service from six city council managed libraries plus the online virtual library and the school’s library service
- views on the proposal to offer library buildings to community groups to develop independent community libraries prior to the consideration of disposing of the properties
- views on the city council ceasing to lease the properties in which Thornhill and Millbrook Libraries are located
- views on bringing the temporary provision in Weston to an end and to seek to create the opportunity for the community to develop an independent library provision within a new unit being provided in the area
- views on ceasing the mobile library service
- views on any alternatives or expressions of interest offered up by consultees, including but not limited to, those detailed in paragraph 35
(iii) To report on the feedback arising from the consultation, to Cabinet in 2015 with a final proposal.
(iv) To seek permission to start staff consultation on the changes that would result from the proposals, if approved.