Make your pledge to help tackle air pollution in Southampton
Southampton City Council is one of six focus cities supporting National Clean Air Day next Thursday 15 June 2017. This is the first ever National Clean Air Day (NCAD) led by Global Action Plan. Global Action Plan is a charity that brings people together and inspires them to take practical environmental action.
The aim of National Clean Air Day is to get more than one million people engaged in tackling air pollution. Across the country schools, workplaces, hospitals and communities will be holding events and inspiring people to think about how they can help improve air quality in the places they live.
To support this high profile national event Southampton City Council have partnered with the Environment Centre (tEC) to raise awareness and coordinate local events across Southampton listed below.
You can also join the conversation and make your pledge to help tackle air pollution online on Facebook and Twitter with #cleanairday.
Southampton General Hospital - 9am - 2pm
Professor Stephen Holgate of the University of Southampton will talk to the respiratory department about current research and how to advise patients to protect themselves from poor air quality. Information will be available in the front entrance for employees, patients and visitors about National Clean Air Day about what they can do to reduce air pollution and how they can avoid health impacts.
Westquay Shopping Centre - 11am - 4pm
A number of stands will be located in the lower floor providing information about air quality in the city and alternative means of travel:
- The Environment Centre (tEC) will be providing information about the risks to health and how to reduce and avoid the impacts of air pollution.
- Solent Air Watch will be conducting live air quality monitoring.
- Southampton City Council will be promoting their Clean Air Strategy.
- My Journey will be providing information on sustainable travel and journey planning.
- Bluestar and First buses will be providing information on bus travel in the area, timetables and free merchandise, along with Spin the Wheel of Fortune.
- British Cycling will be encouraging people to sign up to the HSBC City Ride on the 25th June.
- Ask the expert – Professor Ian Williams from the University of Southampton will be on hand to answer questions about air quality.
The Bargate - Electric Vehicle Showcase - 10am - 4pm
Clean Air Southampton will be showcasing electric vehicles and providing an opportunity for the public to speak to the manufacturers and electric vehicle owners.
> Find out more about Air Quality and read Southampton's Clean Air Strategy