Council services – opening times over the festive season
While many council services will be operating as normal throughout the Christmas period, there are services that will be unavailable during this period. Here is a handy round up of information and those services affected.
Please note: this information was updated on 24 December 2020 due to Southampton's upcoming move to Tier 4 COVID-19 alert level on 26 December 2020. Please visit our coronavirus update web pages for more information.
Customer Services and Gateway
If you need to contact the council, the Customer Services phone lines are open from 8.30am to 5pm, except bank holidays.
On Christmas Eve (24 December 2020), Customer Services phone lines will be open from 8.30am to 12noon. We will be re-opening on Tuesday 29 December 2020 as usual. We will also be closed on Friday 1 January 2021 and re-opening on Monday 4 January 2021.
Our Gateway in Guildhall Square will open as follows:
- Monday 21 – Wednesday 23 December 2020 open from 10am - 3pm
- Thursday 24 December 2020 open 10am - 12noon
- Friday 25 December 2020 onwards – temporarily closed due to Tier 4 restrictions
The Cash Office closed in March and will not be re-opening.
Domestic and commercial bin collections (waste and recycling)
There will be changes to your bin collections over the Christmas and New Year period. You can also view these on the online bin collection calendar.
|Normal collection day
||To be collected on
|Monday 21 December 2020
||Monday 21 December 2020
|Tuesday 22 December 2020
||Tuesday 22 December 2020
|Wednesday 23 December 2020
||Wednesday 23 December 2020
|Thursday 24 December 2020
||Thursday 24 December 2020
|Friday 25 December 2020
||Monday 28 December 2020
|Saturday 26 December 2020
||Monday 28 December 2020
|Monday 28 December 2020
||Tuesday 29 December 2020
|Tuesday 29 December 2020
||Wednesday 30 December 2020
|Wednesday 30 December 2020
||Thursday 31 December 2020
|Thursday 31 December 2020
||Saturday 02 January 2021
|Friday 01 January 2021
||Monday 04 January 2021
|Saturday 02 January 2021
||Monday 04 January 2021
|Monday 04 January 2021
||Tuesday 05 January 2021
|Tuesday 05 January 2021
||Wednesday 06 January 2021
|Wednesday 06 January 2021
||Thursday 07 January 2021
|Thursday 07 January 2021
||Friday 08 January 2021
Friday 08 January 2021
|Saturday 09 January 2021
|Saturday 09 January 2021
||Saturday 09 January 2021
|Monday 11 January 2021
||Usual schedules resume
Garden, bulky and clinical waste collections
Garden waste collections will finish on Friday 18 December 2020 and resume Monday 4 January 2021.
Bulky waste collections will not take place on Friday 25 December 2020 or Friday 1 January 2021. Requests for larger bins will not be processed between 18 December 2020 - 11 January 2021.
Clinical Waste collections will take place Monday 21 to Wednesday 23 December 2020. There will be no clinical waste collections from Thursday 24 December 2020 to Sunday 3 January 2021. Clinical waste collections will then resume from Monday 4 January 2021.
Christmas tree collections
If you have a real Christmas tree then it would be fantastic if you could do your bit for the environment by taking it to the Household Waste and Recycling Centre in Millbrook, where it will be recycled in to compost. It will also be recycled if you have subscribed to our garden waste service. You will need to put your tree out for collection with that bin and cut the tree into manageable pieces in order for it to be collected.
Between 4-15 January 2021 you can put your tree out for collection with your general waste bin. You will need to cut the tree into manageable pieces in order for it to be collected. Once collected, the energy from the trees will be converted in to electricity!
Household Waste and Recycling Centre
The Household Waste and Recycling Centre will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. It will open as normal from 9am to 4pm on all other days. The 'Re-use' shop will be temporarily closed as it is classed as non-essential retail under Tier 4 restrictions.
All council run libraries will close at 5pm on Wednesday 23 December 2020 and re-open on Monday 4 January 2021. Additionally; Burgess Road, Cobbett Hub and YMCA Weston Community libraries will be closed from Monday 21 December 2020 and re-open on Monday 4 January 2021. Due to Tier 4 restrictions from 26 December 2020, libraries will be offering limited services when they initially re-open. Thornhill and Millbrook Community libraries currently remain closed.
No items will be due for return during this period. Full details of all library opening hours, including community run libraries, can be found on the libraries webpages.
Local COVID-19 test sites holiday hours
Local test sites for COVID-19 run by Mitie on behalf of Deloitte and the DHSC are open during the following hours this Christmas season:
- Christmas Eve (24 December 2020) – normal operating hours
- Christmas Day (25 December 2020) – 9am – 3pm
- 26/27 December 2020 – normal operating hours
- Boxing Day (observed, 28 December 2020) – 9am-3pm
- 29/30/31 (New Year’s Eve) – normal operating hours
- New Year’s Day (1 January 2021) – 9am-3pm
- 2/3/4 January 2020 – normal operating hours
Museums and Art Gallery
SeaCity Museum, Southampton City Art Gallery and Tudor House and Garden will be closed for the festive period from Thursday 24 December 2020. All three venues will then remain temporarily closed due to Tier 4 COVID-19 restrictions.
Southampton Register Office
The Southampton Register Office will be available over Christmas and New Year as follows:
- Thursday 24 December 2020 (Christmas Eve) – 9am to 12pm
- Friday 25 December 2020 (Christmas Day) – Closed
- Saturday 26 December 2020 (Boxing Day) – Closed
- Sunday 27 December 2020 – Closed
- Monday 28 December 2020 – Closed
- Tuesday 29 December 2020 - 9am to 4.30pm
- Wednesday 30 December 2020 - 9am to 4.30pm
- Thursday 31 December 2020 (New Year’s Eve) – 9am to 4.30pm
- Friday 1 January 2021 (New Year’s Day) – Closed
- Saturday 2 January 2021 – Closed
- Sunday 3 January 2021 – Closed
- Monday 4 January 2021 – 9am to 4.30pm
To book a birth appointment or for details of how to register a death please visit our births, deaths and ceremonies pages.
Housing Benefit payments
Below are the payment dates for Housing Benefit over the 2020 Christmas period. If you receive your payment by cheque, please allow extra time for any postal delays. Normal payment cycle will resume week commencing 4 January 2021.
- Weekly payments sent on 15 December 2020 will arrive in accounts by 17 December 2020 (paying claims up to 21 December 2020). Payments sent on 17 December 2020 will arrive in accounts by 21 December 2020* (paying claims up to 28 December 2020). Payments sent on 22 December 2020 will arrive in accounts by 24 December 2020** (paying claims up to 4 January 2021).
- Fortnightly payments sent on 17 December 2020 will arrive in accounts by 21 December 2020* (paying claims up to 28 December 2020).
- Monthly payments are not affected.
- Urgent payments sent on 8 December will arrive in accounts by 10 December 2020. Payments sent 5 January 2021 will arrive in accounts by 7 January 2021.
- Council tenant payments will run as normal and show in accounts by 28 December 2020 and 4 January 2021.
* Please note this payment run is the one that would have been sent on Thursday 23 2020 but is being run early.
** Please note this payment run is the one that would have been sent on Thursday 30 2020 but is being run early.
Gritting and snow clearance
From November through to the end of March we provide the winter maintenance service for the city which includes pre-salting to help prevent ice forming and post-salting to melt ice and snow that has already formed. Priority one routes are treated as routine pre-salting, in advance of any forecast of frost, ice or snow.
We monitor daily weather forecasts and road conditions to enable us to decide when precautionary salting or other treatment is required and can react quickly to extreme weather conditions. Find out more on our gritting pages about road gritting and requesting a gritting bin to be re-filled . For up to date information follow our highways service on Twitter at @scchighways