There are a number of services who need to be informed of a death. The Tell us Once service can notify some government departments for you, including the Department of Works and Pensions and some council services.
You can register for this service at the same time you are registering a death and there is no charge. You can make an appointment to register a death or to use Tell us Once at Southampton Register Office.
You will receive a unique pass code to allow you to complete the service in the comfort of your own home, either by telephone or online.
You will need the following information:
- Deceased's National Insurance Number
- Deceased's surviving husband, wife or civil partner's National Insurance Number
- Next of kin's name, address and telephone number
- Information about any benefits and services the deceased may have had/used
- Driving licence (or number) or passport or blue badge number, if applicable
- Name and address of the person dealing with the deceased's estate
To find out more about this service, please visit HM Government - Tell us once service.