This page provides information on closing a road to hold a local street party for less than 500 residents or neighbours. For more information about events with more than 500 residents, you can visit Discover Southampton's events webpage.


For all street parties you will need to notify the council, read the Street Party Noise Guidance and complete the Street Party Notification form.

Street Party Notification form

You should send us the completed form at least six weeks before you are planning to hold your event.


Most street parties are not expensive but there are some possible costs you should be aware of:

  • Road closure applications received 6 weeks before the first day of the month of your party will be processed for free. For example, if you are holding your party on 21 July you need to get your application to us by 20 May.
  • Otherwise a road closure notice will cost £112
  • You should consider obtaining Public Liability Insurance
  • The hire of appropriate road closure signs
  • £25 for site inspection if you erect a stage or a bouncy castle
  • £21 if your party needs a Temporary Event Notice for the supply or sale of alcohol

We will assess whether a Temporary Event Notice will need to be agreed for your proposed street party under the Licensing Act 2003.

Cleaning up

It is your responsibility to leave the site in a clean and tidy condition. This includes litter that may be blown beyond the site boundary. The organiser of the street party will be charged if the council has to send extra clearers to clean the street after your event.