St James' Park, Church Street, Upper Shirley, Southampton, SO15 5LW
St James' Park is located in Shirley between St James' Road, Winchester Road, Wordsworth Road and Church Street.
- botanical and scenic walks
- children's playground with climbing wall
- outdoor gym equipment
- tennis courts
The popular park covers 2.3 hectares and has an interesting history and heritage, which is being uncovered as part of a parks for people project. Historical maps show that the site was used as a nursery in 1865 and by 1897 use had changed to a gravel pit. It is also rumoured that the land was at one time designated for a railway station or siding but this has yet to be proved. Council archives record that the land was bought in 1907 and gravel extraction continued until the land was finally landscaped in 1911 for public use.
St James' Park re-opened in 2011 following improvement works under a parks for people project, jointly funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Big Lottery Fund and Southampton City Council, in partnership with Friends of St James' Park.
St James' Park Management Plan 2012
St James' Park Management Plan 2013
Friends of St James park