Due to essential IT work the council website and associated systems will not be available on Saturday 20 October between 6pm to 11pm. Thank you for your understanding while this work is undertaken.
What do I need permission for?
Depending on the nature of the building project, you’ll need one of the following:
- Building regulations approval
- Planning permission
- Both of the above
When do I need building regulations approval?
You need building regulations approvals for:
- New buildings
- Changing existing buildings
- The installation of controlled services and fittings
- Changing the use of a building
What do building regulations cover?
Building regulations cover a number of important things, including:
- Structure, strength and stability
- Fire safety
- Moisture resistance
- Toxic substances
- Sound insulation
- Drainage and waste disposal
- Heat-producing equipment
- Energy saving
- Disabled access and facilities
- Safety glazing
If you are unsure if you need building regulations approval and/or planning permission, visit the Planning Portal.
Apply for building regulations approval
You can apply for planning permission here or take advantage of our expert pre-application advice service.