The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Charging Schedule for Southampton came into effect on 1 September 2013. The CIL is a standard, non-negotiable charge applicable to developments where there is a net increase of 100 square metre of floor space or the creation of one or more dwellings.
The charge varies between different use classes as follows:
- Retail use (Class A1 - A5) are charged at £43 per square metre*
- Residential use (Class C3, C4, and Sui Generis Houses in Multiple Occupation) including self-contained student flats and cluster flats are charged at £70 per square metre*. Further information is set out in The Planning Inspector's report.
There is no charge for
- Hotel use (Class C1)
- Residential Institution use (Class C2)
- Community use (Class D1)
- Business use (Class B1, B2, B8) and other commercial uses not specified above
From 1 January 2020 the indexed CIL rate is as follows:
- £64.12 per sq. m for retail use
- £104.38 per sq. m for residential use
*This figure is index linked for inflation and updated annually using the RICS CIL Index, which is based on the BCIS All-In Tender Price Index and is published on the RICS