Making an admissions appeal

Before you can submit an admissions appeal, please first read through our appeals guidance pages.

Who can lodge an appeal?

Any parent or guardian who has been refused a school place for their child has the right to appeal the decision.

If you are not allocated a place at a preferred school, you have the right to an independent appeal. You can appeal for more than one school.

If you are not offered a place at your first preference school, we will send you appeal guidance with your allocation letter.

For schools using the local authority's services, appeals must be lodged by the dates shown on the local authority appeal timetable. This is published before offers are made. Other schools will have their own arrangements.

Are there alternatives to making an appeal?

Before making a formal appeal, you should consider the alternatives:

  1. Accept the school place you have been offered

    If you are a Southampton resident, you will have been offered an alternative school place. Accepting this place will guarantee that your child can start school in September, even if no places become available at your preferred school. This will not affect your right to submit an appeal or your child's current position on a waiting list.

  2. Remain on the waiting list for your preferred schools

    Your child's name will automatically be added to any waiting list where your application has been unsuccessful. When a place becomes available, it will be offered to the child who is at the top of this list at that time. The waiting list is ordered in accordance with each school's admissions policy.

  3. Apply for an alternative school

    If you wish to apply for a school that was not on your original application, you can do this by contacting the admissions team.

Appeals for children with an Education, Health and Care Plan

Independent Appeal Panels are not able to consider appeals for children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan which specify provision in a mainstream school. Such appeals should be referred to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), and can only be made within two months of the issuing of the final Plan.