Chaperone licensing

What is a Chaperone?

If a child wants to perform in public and their parent or guardian isn’t with them, a Council-approved adult must look after them. They’re called chaperones.

Chaperones can only be approved and licensed by the local authority in which they live.

What information will be gathered during the application?

To become a chaperone you must apply to the council in which you live. We will take two references, carry out an Enhanced DBS check and arrange an interview with you.

How long can this process take?

This process can take from 6-12 weeks, subject to checks. If you wish to chaperone an upcoming performance please ensure you apply with plenty of time.

How long does a licence last for?

If you are successful you will be granted a chaperone licence that will be valid for three years.

For any productions you chaperone in this time period you must inform us with 21 days’ notice before the performance and we will issue an approval which will contain the performance and children’s details.

How do I apply?

To apply please download an application form and return it to or send it via post, to Child Employment, 1st Floor, North Block, Civic Centre, Southampton, SO14 7LY.

Please allow up to 12 weeks processing from us receiving your application to a licence being issued. This is subject to an Enhanced DBS security check being processed.

Southampton City Council will only process applications for chaperones living in the Southampton Area. If your postcode lies in Hampshire County Council you will need to apply to them directly.

Apply for a chaperone licence

For more information please contact or telephone 023 8083 3646.