Starting secondary school year 7
Secondary schools provide education for children between 11 and 16 years of age.
The National Curriculum organises the year groups as follows:
- Aged between 11 and 12 school year 7 - Key Stage 3
- Aged between 12 and 13 school year 8 - Key Stage 3
- Aged between 13 and 14 school year 9 - Key Stage 3
- Aged between 14 and 15 school year 10 - Key Stage 4
- Aged between 15 and 16 school year 11 - Key Stage 4
National curriculum and exams
Secondary schools aim to prepare students both for the next stage in their education and adult life.
An important part of this process is enabling them to get the best possible results at Key Stage 3 of the National Curriculum and the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) - the examination courses taken during years 10 and 11.