There are two types of travel support available to students who live in Southampton and are of sixth form age.
1. Support through local education and training providers
Discounts and concessionary fares are often available to learners through their college, education or training providers by applying for a bursary.
We have put a list together of what help is available in Southampton and neighbouring areas, details of about that bursary and the criteria to apply. List of Post 16 provisions.
More information about 16 to 19 Bursary Fund from GOV.UK
2. Support by us
There is no automatic eligibility for home to school transport after the age of 16 but we have the discretion to determine what travel assistance is necessary to help a young person’s attendance.
We can help with travel if you / your child is either:
- A student between the age of 16 and 19 years old with special educational needs and/or disabilities and attends a school, further education provision or have a place on an apprenticeship.
- ‘Adult learners’ between the ages of 19 – 25 years old in further education and their Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) says that travel assistance is needed.
Who is eligible for school travel support through us?
As well as the above, they need to meet all of the following criteria:
- Attend the nearest college that offers an appropriate course. This is a course that helps the student to meet their employment objectives or is specifically designed to meet the student's special educational needs
- Have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan maintained by the Local Authority until they complete their secondary education
- Are under 25 years of age on 31 August before they start their course
- The distance between their home and the college/school with a sixth form is more than three miles
You can read our home to school transport policy for more information.