Itchen Bridge toll FAQs

What do I do if I've been overcharged for crossing the Itchen Bridge?

If you think you have been wrongly charged, you can contact the Itchen Bridge direct by email: or telephone 02380 431040

Alternatively you can contact SmartCities by email: or telephone 02380 833008.

You may need to provide the day and time you passed through the toll in order for CCTV to be reviewed.

What do I do if I reach the toll and can't pay?

You have the option to take a payment slip. This is called a deferred payment. It gives you seven days to pay the toll plus a £2 admin fee.

You can pay a deferred payment by calling the Itchen Bridge head office on 023 8043 1040.

What happens if I drive through the toll without paying?

If you have driven through the toll without paying or have received an invoice please contact the Itchen Bridge directly by either email: or telephone 02380 431040.

Find out more or pay your Itchen Bridge invoice online

Will I be charged extra for towing something on the back of my vehicle?

Towed extras such as trailers and caravans are considered part of your vehicle. Provided you have the proper towing equipment, you will only be charged once for crossing the bridge.

What happens if my top up payment isn't showing on my Itchen Bridge account?

If your top up is not showing on your Itchen Bridge account please contact SmartCities by either email: or telephone 02380 83 3008.

What happens if my card isn't working?

If your card is damaged e.g. bent or split you can request a replacement card.

Alternatively if you believe your card has developed a fault, please take it to the Itchen Bridge toll office or the Gateway office at One Guildhall Square where your card will be tested.

Am I eligible for the Itchen Bridge Residents Concessionary fee?

If you live between postcodes SO14 – SO19 or more specifically pay your council tax to Southampton City Council, you will be eligible for the Itchen Bridge Concessionary fee.

Am I eligible for an e-vehicle exemption card?

If you live within the following council areas you can apply for an e-vehicle exemption card:

Southampton City Council, New Forest District Council, Test Valley Borough Council, Winchester District Council, Eastleigh Borough Council, Fareham Borough Council, Gosport Borough Council, Havant Borough Council and Portsmouth City Council.

Am I eligible for a Disabled Persons Itchen Bridge toll exemption card?

Southampton residents and non-residents can apply for an exemption from paying the toll on the Itchen Bridge with a SmartCities card as a driver or passenger.

Please see section 5 of the application form that gives the two documents required to show evidence of qualification for exemption from paying the toll on the Itchen Bridge.

Why isn't/when will the Itchen Bridge be free to cross?

The Hampshire Act (1983) sets out in law the two main reasons the Council maintains a toll for crossing the Itchen Bridge:

  • To manage congestion by encouraging vehicles to take other routes better designed for high levels of traffic
  • To cover the ongoing maintenance and running costs of the bridge

The toll for residents has remained frozen since 1997. If you are a resident of Southampton City Council i.e. you live in a property where Council Tax is paid to Southampton City Council, your card will apply the residents' discount when you use it to cross the bridge.