We are committed to improving air quality across Southampton. As part of this commitment, we're making improvements to the city's public electric vehicle charging network, and for our own vehicles.
Improving our fleet of vehicles SHOW
We now have 49 electric vehicles in our fleet as part of our fleet modernisation plan. These vehicles replace the older diesel vehicles and are now running on 100% green energy. This supports our commitment to improving air quality in Southampton. Our depots currently have 18 charging bays to ensure we have these vehicles running and supporting city services every day.
Charging points SHOW
We currently have 86 electric vehicle charging points installed across the city. We are working with partners to install additional points to ensure we meet the growing demand for accessible, quick and efficient charging points.
Zap-Map can be used to find your nearest charging point in Southampton and elsewhere.
Charging at all of our existing sites is free for an introductory period.
Six type two charging points are available at each of our five city centre multi-story car parks:
- West Park car park - ground floor
- Grosvenor Square car park - ground floor
- Bedford Place car park - level 2
- Eastgate car park - ground floor
- Marlands car park - level 3
Chargers are also available in Woolston and Bitterne. Two type two fast charging points are available at each of these car parks:
You will need a charge card to use all of our charging points.
We have two taxi-only rapid chargers installed in Lances Hill car park, Bitterne and Southbrook Road South car park on the North side of Central Station. These chargers can only be accessed by Southampton City Council registered taxis and private hire vehicles. Rapid chargers allow most electric cars to top-up their battery in less than 30 minutes.
Over the next months and years, we will be installing more chargers to continue to encourage help more people switch to electric vehicles. Keep an eye on this page to find out where more charging points are being installed.
If you are experiencing difficulty using a charge point, please email email@example.com.
Benefits of switching to electric SHOW
Electric vehicles can help improve air quality in the city and lower your contribution to climate change.
The following incentives are offered by Southampton City Council and national government which may make it financially beneficial to upgrade to an electric vehicle:
- We are currently offering a 90% discount on any city centre season ticket for electric vehicle users
- Owners of fully electric vehicles living in local council areas can currently cross the Itchen Bridge free of charge with a SmartCities
- Central government offers grants for new plug-in vehicles, currently up to £3,500 for cars, £1,500 for motorcycles, £8,000 for vans and £7,500 for taxis. Find out about plug-in car grants
- Zero emission capable vehicles pay either no vehicle tax (VED) or a reduced rate depending on their CO2 emissions, vehicle list price and year of registration. Find out about tax benefits
- There is a range of tax incentives for business users
- View our EVs incentives graphic
If you have any questions about purchasing an electric vehicle, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.