Coronavirus (Covid-19) information
The £11 standard certificate ordering service is the only service currently available. Please be aware there may still be delays to this service over the 15 days depending on staffing and death registrations. The priority service has been withdrawn until further notice. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Ordering a copy certificate
Southampton Registration Services are only able to supply certificates for births, deaths, marriages or civil partnerships that took place within the Southampton City Boundary since 1 July 1837.
This is essentially if the event took place in postcode areas SO14-SO19 however, there are some exceptions, so please check with the local authority of the area where you should apply to.
If the event occurred outside of this region, you will need to apply directly to the relevant area - for example, neighbouring areas, such as Hythe, the New Forest, Totton or Eastleigh, fall under the control of the Hampshire Registration Service
If you were adopted and require a certificate for current identification purposes, such as passport applications or employment, apply to the General Register Office in Southport.
If, however, you require a copy of your original birth certificate and were adopted before 12 November 1975, you will need to attend a counselling session with an approved adoption advisor first.
The fees for copy certificates include one certificate, postage and a search fee of up to five years. Additional copies of the same entry will incur the same fees.
Further searches of up to 10 years can be requested by emailing us. An additional non refundable fee of £10 is payable.
All services are subject to the entry being traced from the information you provide when applying. If this is inaccurate or uncertain it may cause a delay in the service you require.
- Standard Service: £11 per copy - Certificates are usually ready for posting out by 2nd class post within 15 working days. However, during the peak of the pandemic there are not enough staff available to process applications every day and your application might be delayed.
- Priority Service: £35 per copy - Certificates will be ready for posting out by 1st class post before the next working day. (Orders must be placed between the hours of 10am and 3pm). However, during the peak of the pandemic there are not enough staff available to process applications every day and your application might be delayed. This service is a higher fee for a quicker service. If we cannot find the record, the record is still held at the church or out of the city boundary you will only receive a refund of the certificate fee (£11). This is because the service (search) you requested would have been provided. Please use the guides at the top of this page to check if we have your records. THIS SERVICE IS CURRENTLY SUSPENDED.
Online applications made after 3pm will be treated as being ordered on the next working day.
We are processing certificates as quickly as possible, depending on the staff we have available each day. Some days there may not be any staff on certificate processing at all, and your order could be delayed. Certificate delivery times are taking much longer than usual due to the pressures that the Royal Mail are experiencing. For up-to-date information visit the Royal Mail website.
For UK addresses - If your certificate has not arrived after 1 month please contact us. We are unable to treat your certificate as “lost” until 1 month has passed
For address’s abroad – If your certificate has not arrived after 6 weeks please contact us. We are unable treat your certificate as “lost” until 6 weeks have passed.
All services are subject to terms and conditions.
Order a certificate
The form will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. As payment needs to be taken before the form can be submitted, ensure you have your credit/debit card to hand. Your card must be 3D Secure for payment to be successful.
Births where the date of birth is less than 50 years prior to the date of application. We require the following mandatory information. If the information supplied is not complete, we may not be able to supply the certificate:
- Surname at birth
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father’s surname (if stated on the entry)
- Father’s forenames (if stated on the entry)
- Mother’s forename(s)
- Mother’s maiden surname (if applicable)
Deaths where the deceased was under the age of 16 and died within the last 50 years.
We require the following mandatory information. If the information supplied is not complete, we may not be able to supply the certificate:
- Surname of deceased
- Forename(s) of deceased
- Date of death
- Age at death
- Place of death / last known address
- Relationship to deceased
- Father’s forename
- Father’s surname
- Mother’s forename
- Mother’s surname