St Mary Extra Cemetery
St Mary Extra Cemetery was created because of a need for more burial space in the eastern side of Southampton in the 1870s.
This cemetery can accommodate both new and reopened graves and there is a section available for the interment of cremated remains and new sections for burials including areas for large, premium graves.
There is a section available for the interment of cremated remains, and new sections for burials including areas for larger, premium graves.
Plan of St Mary Extra Cemetery (pdf)
The cemetery has a Grade II listed Chapel situated within the grounds which, for a fee, can be used for holding a service prior to a burial taking place (seats approximately 45 people).
History of St Mary Extra Cemetery
The first burial to take place at St Mary Extra Cemetery (originally St Mary Extra Burial Board and then Itchen Urban District Council) was on 17 November 1879. The cemetery was taken over by Southampton City Council in 1922.
Portsmouth Road, Sholing, Southampton SO19 9BJ
7am-dusk all year round
Chapel: Yes - seating capacity 45 people
Parking: Limited parking is available and we kindly ask that cars are parked only on the main driveway in front of the chapel within the cemetery grounds
Send us a message
Tel: 023 8076 6405