The Government wants to help more people to build or commission their own homes. Self-build homes are projects where the person directly organises the design and construction of a new home themselves. There are a variety of ways of completing a self-build project with individuals or groups either building the homes themselves or working with specialist developers on custom build homes.
Southampton City Council is setting up a register to assess the level of demand for self-build housing development in the city. This will help the council develop housing and planning policies appropriate for the city. If the council becomes aware of plots of land that may be suitable for self-build it will highlight this register to the landowner/agent.
If you wish to be added to the register please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name and contact details (address, telephone and email address)
- Preferred size of plot and location within Southampton
- Indication of the type of home proposed
- If the application is made by an association of individuals, the name and address of the lead contact and the number of serviced plots within Southampton city council's boundary the members are seeking to acquire.
In order to meet the government’s eligibility criteria please confirm that the applicant (or each member of an association) is:
- Over 18 years of age
- Either a British citizen, or national of an European Economic Area state or a Swiss national
- Seeking a plot to occupy as their sole or main residence
Please note that self build homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes.
For more information on self-build homes please visit The Self Build portal