Public parking tickets are those which are issued by the council. A public parking ticket will be issued in the form of a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

The earlier you pay the PCN, the less it will cost you. If you pay within 14 days of the charge being issued the charge will be reduced by 50%.

Please allow 24 hours from the time the penalty charge was issued for your details to show in the system. If you received a penalty charge at the weekend it will appear within 24 hours of the next working day.

Lost PCN

If you have lost your PCN or if you cannot find the SN reference number, email our parking services team to request it. Attach a copy of your V5C to your email and ask for your reference number.


Ways to pay


Pay or challenge your parking fine using the online system. To do this you will need the PCN number which starts with ''SN'', followed by 8 digits/letters.

Please note, you can also use this service to pay a bus lane enforcement penalty charge.

Pay online

By phone

Pay using the automated telephone system (using the phone number on the back of the envelope).

In person

Bring a cheque into Gateway in person with your PCN tear-off slip.

Gateway is located at One Guildhall Square, Southampton, SO14 7FP.

By post

To pay by post, please send a cheque and include the PCN tear-off slip using the PCN envelope.

Challenge a parking fine

There is a legal difference between a ‘challenge’ and an ‘appeal’.

While we consider your challenge we will put the PCN case on hold.

You can make a written challenge/representation to the council if you believe that the fine has been issued unfairly or if you believe there are mitigating circumstances.

There are two stages of challenge:

  1. An informal challenge is correspondence received by us after the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice, but before the service of the Notice to Owner.

  2. A formal representation is correspondence received by us within 28 days from the date of service of the Notice to Owner.

Only the registered owner or keeper of the vehicle can make a formal challenge.

Challenge your parking fine

Appeal to an Adjudication Service

If your formal representation is rejected, you will be provided with information on how you can appeal to the independent adjudication service the Traffic Penalty Tribunal using either their on-line appeal process or in writing.