Apply for a school place or change an existing school place.
If you pay your council tax to Southampton City Council then you must apply for schools, wherever they are, through the Council Admissions team.
You cannot visit the Admissions team in person.

Find your catchment area

Online applications

You cannot apply online:

  • For places needed in this academic year
  • If you have recently moved to Southampton, your application will be treated as late
  • If you are not happy with your child's current school you can request an in year transfer
  • If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs, you will need to contact the Special Needs Team on 023 8083 3270
  • If you intend to only apply to an independent or private school, please advise the School Admissions team in writing.

General guidance to using the online system

  • If it is your first online application you will need to register with an email address
  • If you change your mind about which schools to apply for, or the order of your preferences, you can make changes online up to the closing date for applications for your year group.
  • You are advised to state three different schools in your application to ensure you have the greatest chance of getting an offer at a school you have some preference for.
  • We cannot guarantee your child a place, even in catchment schools
  • More help with online applications

What happens next?

  • Any application received after the deadline date will be treated as a late application. Late applications will only be processed after all the on-time applications have been completed and it may mean missing out on your preferred schools.
  • Getting your application in on time gives your child the best chance of being offered their preferred school.
  • When the applications have been processed you will receive an offer of a place
  • You have the right to appeal the place offered.  There is no guarantee of being successful.
  • You may be placed on a waiting list for your preferred school