Benefits advice - Carers

Many people are full-time carers for their partner, child or another dependent relative or friend.

If you fall into this category you may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance (CA). This is a weekly benefit for people who cannot work full-time because they are a carer. You do not have to live with the person you care for.

Important information before applying for Carers Allowance

Claiming CA could affect the amount of benefit that the person you are caring for receives.

If the person you care for receives Universal Credit, Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, they could lose their severe disability premium.

The severe disability premium is included in someone's means-tested benefits. If someone receives the standard or enhanced rate of Personal Independence Payment, the lower or higher rate of Attendance Allowance or the middle or higher rate of the care component of the Disability Living Allowance they are treated as living alone and no-one receives Carer's Allowance for looking after them. It is therefore important that you check with the person you are caring for and if necessary seek advice before claiming Carer's Allowance.

Find out more and make a claim for Carers Allowance