Universal Credit claims are made and managed online.
Making a Universal Credit claim
Before completing your claim, you must sign up to GOV.UK Verify, this is a new service that will verify your identity online so you can access government services.
If you do not have access to the internet at home you can access it at your local library, the Jobcentre or Gateway.
You need the following information before making your claim
- You (and your partner's) National Insurance Number
- Your postcode
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Your landlord's address
- How much rent you are paying
- Your bank account details
- Details of any savings you have
- If working - your expected monthly wage
- Details of any other income you receive
- An email address for communication purposes
Once you have made a claim Universal Credit will contact you to attend a face to face interview.
The claimant commitment
As a condition of entitlement to Universal Credit you will be required to accept your claimant commitment. This is an agreement that sets out your 'responsibilities' and, in particular, what work-related requirements apply to you. It will be based on your personal circumstances and will be reviewed and updated regularly. If you claim Universal Credit as a couple, both of you will need to accept a claimant commitment.