Extended payment

If you start work and have been receiving one of the following benefits for at least 26 weeks:

  • Job Seekers Allowance 
  • Income Support 
  • Incapacity Benefit 
  • Severe Disablement Allowance 
  • Employment and Support Allowance

You may be entitled to a further four weeks of Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction from the end of your benefit entitlement. This will be based on the weekly amount of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you were receiving before you started work.

Claiming an Extended Payment

You do not need to apply for an extended payment, however an extended payment is classed as an advantageous change in your circumstances (you may receive an increase in benefit/reduction) and as with other advantageous changes you have one calendar month/ 21 days (for CTRS) to inform us or you may lose out.

Once we have been notified that your qualifying benefit has ended, we will check to make sure that you are entitled to an Extended Payment.

If we write to you for further information you have one calendar month to respond; failure to do this may result in you losing out.

See also

Qualifying rules for Extended Payment