Housing and related support for the Armed Forces community

There are a number of housing options to consider if you are looking for accommodation. Here you can find out about options for finding a home as well as what to do if you're homeless.

Social rented housing

Social housing is very scarce with most councils having long waiting lists. The Armed Forces Covenant means that you will not be disadvantaged by not having a local connection, however, it will not mean that you get to the top of the list.

Even if you get to the top of the waiting list, it could still be many months/years before you get a house. It is worth remembering that, if you leave Service Family Association (SFA) and are homeless, the council will have a duty of care to put a roof over your head. However, this may be a hostel or B&B which isn’t ideal for a family.

Residents of Southampton can apply for council and housing association housing by joining the Housing Register. See Find a home.

Serving and former members of the Armed Forces will qualify if they fall within one or more of the statutory reasonable preference categories. More information can be found in the council's housing allocations policy.

Please contact Housing Allocations:


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself at least five minutes to fill in the form.

Submit an enquiry

The following housing associations also offer housing options specifically for people who have served in the Armed Forces:

Private rented housing

Renting from a private landlord is another option for finding somewhere to live. Everything you need to know about renting a home from a private landlord, including what questions to ask and your rights and responsibilities, can be found in the government's How to rent checklist.

Affordable home ownership

Affordable home ownership is homes for sale and rent, below market levels, for eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. The government runs the following home ownership schemes:


If you're homeless, or threatened with homelessness, the Council may be able to help. For more information read Are you at risk of homelessness?

SPACES is a national service offering accommodation placement advice to single personnel discharged from the Armed Forces. Call 0174 883 3797.

Further help

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides housing information and advice to service personnel and their families to assist them in the transition to civilian life. Call 0125 278 7574.

Veterans Gateway

Veterans Gateway website

Telephone: 0808 802 1212

Forces Families Federations

Armed Forces Welfare Services

These can provide signposting to relevant departments and assist with any personal concerns via their casework teams:

Naval Service Family and People Support

Tel: 0800 145 6088

Email: navynps-peoplesptnsfpsptl@mod.gov.uk

Navy Welfare Service website

Army Welfare Service

Tel: 0190 488 2053

Army Welfare Service website

SSAFA (for RAF personnel)

Tel: 03000 111 723

Email: psswsRAF@ssafa.org.uk

Information and support

SSAFA provides practical and emotional support to serving and former members of the Armed Forces and their families in a wide range of areas including housing. Call 023 8077 0640

RBL supports the Armed Forces Community and those affected by disability, health conditions or social welfare needs. Help includes the provision of welfare, healthcare, housing, employment and development opportunities. Call 0162 279 5900.

Veterans UK runs a helpline that provides assistance on many issues including benefits, housing and welfare. Call 0808 191 4218.

Veterans Aid helps veterans who are in crisis with accommodation, addictions, mental health problems, access to training and education and Foreign and Commonwealth issues. Call 0800 012 6867.

Shelter offer free, expert housing advice to anyone. Call 0808 800 4444.

Citizens Advice Bureau offer online and telephone advice. Call 03444 111 444.

Blind Veterans UK helps vision impaired Armed Forces and National Service veterans to relearn vital life skills and provides them with the tools they need to be independent in their own homes. They offer new learning, training and recreation opportunities and provide long-term nursing, residential and respite care. Call 0800 389 7979.


Assistance with furnishings may be sought through military charities, such as SSAFA and The Royal British Legion.

Solent Armed Forces Covenant Partnership Drop In Centres

There are drop in centres across the region offering advice and information to armed forces veterans and their families. They provide social support and access to a range of welfare and mental health services. They’re open to former members of the British Armed Forces and Reserves and their direct family members, including the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and the Merchant Navy.


Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons from: 2pm – 9pm

At the Southampton Veterans Drop-In-Centre, Woodley Road, Woolston, Southampton, SO19 9DW

Contact: call 023 8044 6032 or visit Southampton Veterans Trust


Monday to Friday from: 10am – 2pm

At Veterans Hub Sharpes Cafe, High Street, Gosport, PO12 1BT

Contact: call 023 9258 3099 or visit Gosport cafe hub for veterans

Isle of Wight

The third Wednesday of every month from: 12pm – 4pm

At the Riverside Centre, the Quay, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2QR

Contact: call 023 9273 1767 or visit Veterans Outreach Support


The first Wednesday every month from: 2pm – 6pm

At the Royal Maritime Club, Queen Street, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3HS

Contact: call 023 9273 1767 or visit Veterans Outreach Support