Here’s a list of FREE activities and events for children and young people in Southampton
The summer holidays are great for children and young people to unwind from school or college but filling six weeks can be a real challenge. Whilst many young people enjoy gaming on consoles such as the Xbox or Playstation, there are lots of events and activities taking place over the summer that can help get them active or even plan for their future.
Here are some FREE events and activities happening across the city:
For school leavers taking their next steps
Young People’s Hub, Civic Centre
- Every Monday – Itchen College (1-2:30pm)
- Every Monday – City Ambitions support (2pm)
- Every Monday – 16+ future options (1-4pm)
- 7 August only – Bodyswaps – virtual reality
- 21 August only – Safe choices workshop (1-2:30pm)
- 8 August – Get into Website Development ‘Taster Day’, FREE online course (register email: Hatherell@princes-trust.org.uk or Heather.Milne@princes-trust.org.uk)
- 9 August – Get Started with Game Design ‘Taster Day’, FREE online course (register email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 14-25 August – Get into Website Development ‘FREE online course’
- 14–18 August – Get Started with Game Design ‘free online one-week course’
- 22 August – Get Started with Game Design online course ‘Reunion day’
- 26 August – Guildhall: Southampton Pride
- 26 August-10 September – Ocean Village: 2023 Ocean Globe Race
Like to bike?
Monty’s Bike Hub offers weekly drop-in sessions, learn how to fix your bike or have a go at the new pump track (loan bikes are available):
- Every Wednesday and Friday: ‘pump track drop-in’ at Sullivan Rec, Sholing SO19 0JP (4-6pm)
- Every Thursday: ‘youth bikes drop-in’ at the Workshop (2-5pm)
N.B Monty’s Bike Hub is closed week commencing 28 August.
Fanatical about football?
Why not drop in at a Saints FC ‘Kicks’ session happening every Tuesday-Friday across the city.
Looking for something more flexible?
- Take up the challenge and use all the cycle paths around the city!
- Pop over to the Young People’s Hub in the Civic Centre, chill out or play table tennis.
- Set yourself a challenge… lace up your trainers and try a 5k Park Run every Saturday 9am Southampton Common, just register to collect your completion time, can you beat it?
- There are lots of great activities taking place at your local library including job clubs, reading challenges and so much more
- Check out Southampton’s local wildlife at Hawthorns Urban Wildlife Centre
- Going shopping? Stop! Sign up for a SO card before you go and get money off a range of things across the city
- Thinking about a job in Health & Social Care? There are lots of free courses available
Visit the Cost of Living information for a range of low-cost activities and entertainment across Southampton.