This applies to children who have had their fifth birthday up to they turn 16 years old. They will also be living further than the statutory walking distance from their nearest most appropriate school.
Your child must meet all the criteria to be eligible for transport assistance:
1. Be of compulsory school age
Compulsory school age is the term following your child's fifth birthday until the end of the school year in which they turn 16 years of age.
In most cases, transport will not be available for children travelling to nurseries or other Early Years settings if they are below the compulsory school age. However, if your child is in Reception class, they can apply if they meet the following criteria.
2. Attend the nearest catchment school
The child must be attending the nearest catchment school or a school nearer to your home than the catchment school. Where parents name the designated catchment school as one of their 3 preferences and a place is not available, assistance may be offered to the next closest school, where the other qualifying eligibility criteria are met.
3. Live the appropriate distance from home to school
The distance from home to school must be:
- More than two miles if the child has just had their fifth birthday until they are turn eight years old
- More than three miles if the child has just turned eight until they turn 16 years old
The walking distance is measured by the nearest available walking route from where the property meets the adopted road, public footpaths, bridleways, and other pathways to the nearest available entrance to the school grounds.
Where all the routes to the schools in question are beyond the statutory walking distances, the route to the schools will be measured by the nearest available road route, passable for a suitable motorised vehicle, when determining whether a non-catchment school qualifies as a nearer school.
Applying under extended rights
This applies if the child is entitled to free school meals, or their parents are in receipt of the maximum level of Working Tax credit or Universal Credit (with an earned income of no more than £7,400).
In this case, the distance from home to school must be:
- If they are between eight and 11 years old: More than two miles
- If they are between 11 and 16 years old and there are not three or more suitable schools that are nearer: between two and six miles
- If this is their nearest and preferred school based on grounds of religion or belief: Between two and 15 miles
When submitting your application, you will need to provide us with evidence of your qualifying benefit and / or of faith.