Benefits advice - Health benefits

What health benefits are available?

Available health benefits include: 

  • Free NHS prescriptions
  • Free NHS dental treatment 
  • Free NHS eye test
  • Free NHS wigs and fabric supports 
  • A voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses 
  • Help with travel costs to receive NHS treatment 

Who can get health benefits?

Some people qualify for help with the costs of certain health benefits because of their circumstances. You automatically qualify for help if you or a member of your family receive: 

If you get Universal Credit

If you are getting Universal Credit you will only be entitled to help if you had no earnings or earnings below £435 during the assessment period or receive Universal Credit that includes an element for a child and/or limited capability for work or limited capability for work-related activity and you have no earnings or earnings below £935 during the assessment period.

If you get Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit

If you are getting Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit and your income is £15,276 or less you may also qualify for help.

If you do not qualify for full help through entitlement to one of the benefits above, you may be able to get help through the NHS low income scheme. To qualify for the low income scheme a comparison is made between your income and your requirements and your capital must be £16,000 or less.

You may also qualify for vouchers for fresh milk, fruit, vegetables, infant formula and vitamin supplements through the Healthy Start Scheme. To be eligible for this you must be more than 10 weeks pregnant or be responsible for a child under 4 years of age and receive a qualifying benefit (see above).

How to claim

To claim for prescriptions, complete the declaration on the back of the prescription form and provide evidence to the pharmacist that you are eligible for free prescriptions such as a benefit award letter.

To claim for NHS dental treatment and NHS eye tests advise your practitioner that you qualify and complete the declaration on the form they give you.

Alternatively, you can join by filling out a HC1 form from Jobcentre Plus offices, hospitals, GP's offices, dentists, opticians and advice agencies.